Friday, January 18, 2013

Juice Fasting

Have any of you out there done a juice fast?  Some people fast to do a cleansing of the body, some to lose weight.  Some because they are vegan or vegetarian anyway, and some for a combination of reasons.  After watching a few videos and studying up on the whole thing, I decided it would be a good idea to at least drink some homemade vegetable juice once a day.  I talked to my spouse about it and he decided that if he's going to drink it, he wanted to do the real deal.  Juice fast for at least 10 days.  And, of course, he didn't want to do this by himself.  He wanted me to fast with him.  So....we are into day 4 and I have to share a few things.

1.  Buy a really good juicer.  The best one you can afford.  I chose Breville after researching products.  I'm not advertising for them or anything, but I really like mine a lot.
Read about their products here, but they are less expensive through other sources.

http://www.brevilleusa.com/beverages/juicers.html

2.  Prepare yourself mentally and physically before you start.  We eased into it a bit by eating very healthy mostly vegie-based meals for a few days before we started the juice fast.  I had to wrap my head around the whole idea.

 3. If you don't have a producing garden (which is a little difficult in most areas in the winter right now) be prepared to spend quite a lot on all the vegetables and fruits you will have to buy.  You definitely have to be able to afford the stuff that is off-season.  It's not cheap.  When things are in season, this will be lots more affordable.  Organically grown vegetables and fruits are even better (my opinion), but they will usually cost even more.

4.  Stock up on extra toilet paper because 'it' may hit you on the second day.  Really cleans out the system, but not to the point of awful.  It was tolerable for us.

 This is how it's playing out so far.  My husband is dropping the pounds like crazy and I've lost a little too.  We both have tons more energy and feel better all the way around.  My skin and hair are so much smoother!  I just noticed this today.  Quite a nice surprise, especially since we are in the middle of winter and my skin and hair are usually dry, and my hair fly-away and out of control :p
We have enough energy to keep doing some of this:

But we haven't been as diligent as we should be.  Have to get back to the gym on a regular basis again.  I try to do a daily workout, but it's not as intense as it should be. It's a no-brainer that we will have to continue a regular exercise routine in order to keep the pounds off.  That coupled with eating a fat-free diet will do wonders, I am sure.
I will report on any other significant benefits as they arise.  I would think it's helping Terry's blood sugar and blood pressure levels too, but they were not out of control before.  Heart disease and Diabetes runs in his family though, so really have to watch that.
Anyone else up for a juice fast?  

3 comments:

Kristi said...

You are only drinking juice for 10 days? I could do a green smoothie each day, but a 10-day juice fast seems a bit extreme to me.

I'm happy for you that you are seeing results and feeling positive about it, though!

Debbie said...

What type of recipes do you use? Do you just throw veggies in the juicer and that's it? I would love a post on which ones you liked the best and maybe ones you didn't care for. Sounds interesting. I don't know if I could do it for 10 days but maybe 5. :0)

Crystal said...

Awesome!! :) I'm so so happy that it's going well for you guys.